With the holidays coming up, the Hays County Food Bank will be in it’s busiest season yet, and has already experienced a food shortage. With one out of seven Hays County Residents experiencing food insecurity*, the food bank is a invaluable resource that helps keep our community healthy and safe.Here are some ways to help.
*If you or your family are one of those people, here are the qualifications for becoming a client of the food band and here is distribution information. If you will need a holiday meal box, you must be registered by September 30, 2017.
- Mail a check to Hays County Food Bank, 220 Herndon Street, San Marcos, Texas 78666.
- Drop by our office with your cash or check donation! If you have a few minutes to spare, we will gladly give you a tour.
- Make an online donation. Click here to make a one-time, monthly, quarterly, or annual donation.
If financial donation isn’t for you, there are several ways to donate food:
Amazon-The Food Bank has a amazon wishlist containing their most needed items. This is a great option if you’re low on time but still want to help!
If you prefer a more hands-on approach and would like to donate in person, the most needed items generally are:
• Tuna, chicken, salmn, and other canned meats
• Carrots, asparagus, and other canned vegetables
• Peaches, pineapple, fruit cocktail, and other canned fruits
• Oatmeal and cereal
• Peanut butter and jelly
• Rice and beans (preferably in 1lb bags)
• Macaroni and cheese, pasta, and pasta sauces
• Soup and chili.
If your donation is under 500 pounds, please drop it off at the warehouse between 9 am-3 pm. Monday-Thursday, and 9 am-12 pm Friday at 220 Herndon St. San Marcos, TX 78666.
If volunteering is more your thing, there are plenty of opportunities at the food bank. Fill out a volunteer application here, and complete orientation. Current volunteer positions are:
Front Office / Client Services
Primary Duties: Assisting office staff in answering phones, assisting clients, folding brochures and assembling promotional materials, entering data into spreadsheets or databases, making copies, and other miscellaneous clerical duties. Front office volunteers require an additional training session after the regular volunteer orientation.
Social Media Ambassador
Primary Duties: Utilize your own personal social media in order to increase awareness of the Hays County Food Bank.