Kyle is one of the fastest growing cities in Texas. Founded in 1881 by Captain Fergus Kyle, because of its close proximity to the International Great Northern Railroad line. Kyle was also the home of the Pulitzer Prize winning author, Katherine Anne Porter, from 1892-1901. Kyle’s charm and “small town” feel are sure to delight visitors and locals alike with its events and places to visit. Here we have listed our top 10 things to do in Kyle Texas!
Top 10 Things to Do in Kyle Texas
- Play and Shop at Cross Plants and Produce– Cross Plants and Produce is one of our Hays County local favorites! The owners, husband and wife duo Nathan and Jennifer Cross, and their pleasant staff, always welcome you warmly and make you feel like you’ve come home. This unique plant nursery and produce market will make you smile from ear to ear and will be enjoyed by your whole family! In fact, Cross Plants encourages folks to shop and stay awhile with their beautifully landscaped grounds, picnic tables, swing, and even a kids house to play in. After you have soaked up the hospitality and fun the grounds have to offer, head inside to the produce market to buy farm-fresh produce, meats, dairy, and fares from local farms and patrons. And of course, they have plenty of Texas-native plants to bring home for your own bit of Cross Plants in your own backyard! Cross Plants really comes alive in the Fall and Winter with the annual Pumpkin Patch and Christmas trees. Follow their Facebook page for updates on special event and sales. Cross Plants and Produce is open Tuesday- Saturday from 10 am to 6pm, and Sundays from 1pm to 6pm (Closed Mondays). They are located at 705 North Highway 81 in Kyle. Visit their website here or call 512-262-7513, for more information.
- Bowl, Play Games, Eat & Watch a Movie at EVO Entertainment– EVO Entertainment is Kyle’s premier entertainment spot! Have a blast with the whole family and friends as you bowl, play games, or watch a movie. Challenge your friends or family to a friendly game of bowling on one EVO’s 14 bowling lanes inept with the latest Brunswick bowling technology. Or perhaps rack up some points on your EVO gaming card to score some prizes by playing such fun games such as ski ball, Down the Clown, the Big Wheel, and many more! After breaking up a sweat bowling and scoring points, take a seat at their full service bar and eatery at Hardihood that serves appetizers, burgers, salads, pizza, sandwiches and dessert. Allow your food to settle as you watch the latest movie releases on EVO’s “Enhanced Viewing Experience” screens that are wall to wall, and floor to ceiling, with spacious seating, and a crisp sound of the clear Barco© 4K digital picture and enhanced Dolby Atmos© sound delivering a powerful 3D listening experience that will be sure to impress! EVO is also one of our top places to have a birthday party in Kyle! During the summer months, EVO hosts “Kidflix”, a ten-week program of recently released family films every Tuesday starting June 7, and only a $1 per ticket per movie ($5 for all ten movies per person)!
- Visit Kyle Parks– From Movies to the Park, to fishing, to Championship Disc Golf, the parks in Kyle Texas offer up some fun for the whole family! Check out the listing of local parks here!
- Visit Kyle Market Days– Every second Saturday in the months of April through September, the city hosts Kyle Market Days! Come find some local wares and goods, while listening to popular local musicians fill the morning air with pleasant melodies. Such items to be found at the market include various items from produce, to antiques, art, collectibles, crafts, and garage-sale type items. Kyle market days takes place at the Historic City Square Park. Kyle Market Day hours are 9am to 1pm. The encore of Kyle Market Days event will be “The Founders Parade” held on October 15th from 9am to 1pm celebrating the founding of Kyle, TX.
- Fish at Lake Kyle– Lake Kyle is a managed conservation preserve and was acquired and developed with grant funding to develop open space, water quality, and natural habitat. The Park is open sunrise to sunset each day of the week. The Office is open Monday – Friday from 8a – 5p plus extended office hours as schedule and posted. The complete Lake Kyle schedule can be found by clicking here. Lake Kyle is local hot spot for fishing, which is why it has made our top 10 things to do in Kyle Texas list. Please remember that you must have a fishing license from the TWDP to fish the lake. The lake is catch and release only. Live worms and catfish bait are now being sold during office hours. Please help to keep the park clean by depositing trash into trash cans or using the motto: “Pack It In & Pack It Out”.
Lake Kyle City Park also hosts “Movies at the Lake” in the SummerBring a blanket, some snacks, and a friend to watch kid-friendly (all movies are rated PG or G) movies on a 26′ x 15′ with a 30 Ft. diagonal movie screen. Movies begin 30 minutes after sunset and are free to the public. Check upcoming movie list here.
- Swim at Kyle Swimming Pool– When its hot in the summer, the Kyle Swimming Pool offers a great place to cool off! Located at the Gregg-Clarke Park and Sports Complex, Kyle Pool is a splashing good time! Kyle Pool opens on Weekends starting in late May, and during weekdays beginning in June (Click here for current schedule) and closes for the season after Labor Day. In addition to the main swimming pool, a small splash pad for younger children is on-site. Other special events held at the Kyle Pool include: “Teen Night”, “Back to School Night”, and “Dive In Movie Night”. Feel free to bring your own snacks and drinks, and some sunscreen and swim away! Check out their website here for a list of rules and regulations.
- Jump at The Jumpy Place– The Jumpy Place in Kyle is a great place to spend the day indoors! Bring your kids aged 1-10 for plenty of fun on the several bouncy houses, special toddler area for the littles, and a place to purchase snacks and other goodies. During the summer months, the Jumpy Place has “Toddler Tuesdays” the first and third Tuesdays of the month where only children five and under are allowed from 10am to 1pm for $6. The Jumpy Place was also listed as one of our top places to have a birthday party! Check here for more daily specials and pricing.
- Race at Central Texas Speedway– Another one of our birthday favorites, Central Texas Speedway promises a racing good time! The Central Texas Speedway, formerly “Thunder Hill Racing”, is an expansive 39-acre facility with one of Texas’ best 3/8-mile, asphalt oval, short tracks around that allows for extreme side-by-side racing. The 3200 stadium seats, with an additional 20,000+ in a concert setting, allow patrons to get “up close and personal” with the action in the general racing stands, or have a special experience in one of their air-conditioned suites that offer a chance to socialize and eat with friends while still watching the fun on the track. If watching a race isn’t your thing, maybe you’d rather race their super fast go-karts (they reach speeds up to 65mph)!
Their onsite bar, “The Car Bar”, is full bar that offers the experience of tailgating before and after the races located in the events garage. Some of the races that are held here include Mustang Round Up, Central Texas Monster Truck Mayhem, and also the home of the Annual Kyle Fair and Music Fest. Check out their website here for listings of events and to purchase tickets.
- Visit the Katherine Anne Porter Literary Center– The Katherine Anne Porter House is a Kyle historical treasure. Shortly after Kyle was founded in 1880, the Porter house was built for Ms. Porter’s paternal grandmother, who commissioned a three-room house on Center Street. When Katherine was two years old, her father and three siblings moved into her grandmother’s house in Kyle after the death of her mother in 1892. In 1997 Kyle residents, the Austin Community Foundation, the Lower Colorado River Authority, the Clayton Fund, and the Burdine Johnson Foundation purchased Porter’s childhood home, and renovated the homestead in accordance with national landmark standards. The house is currently open to visitors and school groups by appointment. Additionally, the Katherine Anne Porter hosts reading by visiting authors. Click here to make an appointment to visit or to see the schedule of visiting authors. The Katherine Anne Porter house is located at 508 Center Street, Kyle. Additional parking is available one block away at the elementary school off Gross Street and at the Kyle Public Library across the street from Kyle Elementary.
- Play a Round at the Plum Creek Golf Course– The Plum Creek Golf Course in Kyle rounds out our top 10 things to do in Kyle Texas list. It is a 71 par, 18-hole championship golf course. Situated on 200 beautiful acres of green that offers plenty of ample space to enjoy your game. The Plum Creek Golf Club is a great place to hold your golfing outing or special event. The Banquet Hall and Conference Center can accommodate up to 250 guests, and offers excellent regional cuisine. The Golf Course is also home to some Fourth of July fun with the Kyle Independence Day Celebration and pre-fireworks festivities. Plum Creek Golf Course is located at 4301 Benner in Kyle, just one mile off I-35. Tee Times start at 7:00am, and end at 5:00pm. Visit their website for pricing, information, and to book online.
If you haven’t visited Kyle yet, make plans to do so as you will not be disappointed! Any places you feel we missed? Submit them here!
Image Credit for Top 10 Things to do in Kyle Texas: Travis K. Witt